Saturday, 30 March 2013

Things are starting to look Up...

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!

Just when we thought there was nothing new going on, things started changing really fast and all at once.  Anthony and I have been super busy with teaching and the last couple of weeks have been a little different than normal.  I even got to teach Primary School this past week!

We have now finally reached another half term and technically vacation time but this time we have 2 weeks off.  The original plan was to go to Paris for a few days but that got cut considering finances are a little tight right now so we'll hopefully get to postpone Paris until the summer.  We will however have to find something to do around here for the next 2 weeks otherwise we're both going to go stir crazy.  I'm starting to get somewhat creative in finding things to do around here on a budget.  Hopefully we get to travel to the Cliffs of Dover - that's going to be the plan so cross your fingers.  I did find a few places around here that are free and that we can travel to by bus so it's not an extra expense.  YAY!!!  Now it's time to make a schedule for the next two weeks and spread everything out so that we have something to do every other day :)  Pictures to come...

As for teaching, Anthony and I have both been very blessed to have steady work since our last half term.  I have just finished my 7 week term with Bexhill High School which I think was definitely for the better.  At first, I was disappointed and sad because it happened all so fast, but at the same time, I wouldn't have heard of the music position open at another school I supply at - Seaford Head Academy. A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity of teaching music for the first time in the UK.  It was such an amazing experience!  I was really surprised to see how the music program works here because it was so much different then at home.  I am used to band practices and musical theory but to my surprise, they kids barely knew any musical theory and they definitely don't play in any bands (unless they're an extracurricular activity).  Most of the students actually said that they don't get much of an opportunity to experience playing any instruments other than drums, bongos and other percussion instruments.  When I got into the school in the morning they told me I was teaching music all day which was so good to hear - I was pleasantly surprised - however, there was no work left for me to do with these kids all day.  So I decided I would come up with my own lesson and adapt it somewhat to give the students a chance to explore their musical side.  I told them we were doing STOMP and they absolutely loved it!!!  They composed their own pieces as a group and using regular objects as instruments, created a masterpiece of a song and presented their compositions to the rest of the class.  The students were absolutely thrilled with the opportunity to actively show their musical talents and prove their creativity. That's where I heard about the music teacher job that was open through the school itself.  I took the weekend, filled out the application (which by the way was 10 pages long) and got my resume ready to hand in the following Monday morning as I was going to be back at Seaford to supply.  Everybody was thrilled to hear that I applied for the job so all I had to do was wait for a possible email to say I got an interview.  Needless to say, the rest of this week has been really stressful and anxious as was hoping to get an answer about the interview.

On Thursday evening, I FINALLY GOT THE EMAIL about the interview --> I GOT IT!!!!!!!!  I'm pretty sure there is about 10 or less teachers that got the same interview and the good thing is that I have 2 weeks to prepare for this.  I am so excited that I was able to get this interview and I am going to knock them dead.  I have somewhat of an advantage having been at the school before and the students and teachers already love me so that's a bonus.  The interview should also be good - much different than back at home - but better.  It is a practical interview meaning I have to come up with a 30 minute lesson to show how I can teach and differentiate my teaching and then there is a formal interview.  So please pray that everything goes well and that if this is the open door that it stays open.  Let's hope this all turns out with a permanent full time position for me I would absolutely LOVE THAT!!!!

As for Anthony, he was told that he was going to stay at the Links until the Easter Break and then after the break which was amazing to hear considering that they already hired someone for the PE position there.  However, we realized that the agency screwed up and Anthony isn't back to the Links after the break.  However, the good news is that after our 2 weeks off, Anthony is back at another school full time.  Anthony was sad to leave the Links but it was a great send off.  The kids are definitely going to miss him but they'll be alright in the end with the new teacher that was hired.  Anthony had a parents day on his last day this past Thursday and they responded really well to him.  The students came in with their parents and Anthony had a couple of them in tears because they were so sad to see him leave. Apparently the progress that Anthony has made with these kids has been so positive that the parents are afraid when Anthony leaves that the kids will go spiral back downwards but here's hoping they're on a better road to success.  Anthony has definitely left an impact on these students in a very positive way.

Other than teaching, we're finally starting to catch up on a few phone calls and Skype calls lately.  Our new internet has been installed and thankfully it's been absolutely amazing compared to what we did have.  So it's nice seeing familiar faces and hearing people's voices that we haven't really heard/talked to in a long time.  Over the next 2 weeks of our vacation, we are going to try and Skype with anyone who wants to catch up with us over here in the UK.  So let us know if you're game to catch up :)

Well, I'm pretty sure that is all for now...we will keep you all updated on our 2 week vacation - let's see where we end up!

 <3 Steph & Anthony xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment