Not a lot has happened since we went to London but a few things have surfaced which seemed to have made life a little more interesting. Teaching has been consistent over the past few weeks which has definitely been a blessing and Anthony and I have both been at the same schools for the last month or so. It has been quite an interesting experience and it is great getting to know the students. The kids of course are all looking forward to the next holiday which is Easter Break (2 weeks) and so are we. We're hoping to get away and go somewhere for a couple of days maybe here and there.
At the moment Anthony and I are sitting at home on a Tuesday with another snow day in the UK. The snow has seemed to move down from Scotland and North London so we finally got hit. The buses even stopped running today totally!! The snow is finally starting to calm down now but the wind has yet to slow down. I feel like I could get blown right off the side of the dock LOL...can you believe the sun is actually out right now? What a weird day!
Teaching as a been a little stressful watching all the other teachers freak out because of OFSTED. The OFSTED organization is kind of like the Government of the School Board. They go around to pretty much every school without much warning to decide if teachers are fit for their job and for teaching the students based on the schools/boards expectations. Honestly last week ALL the teachers were running around like chickens with their heads cut off for 3 days worried about what the outcome would be. In the end, it apparently was awful and the school got a horrible review but as a supply it doesn't affect me at all. I feel for the teachers that were really put on the spot but for those who weren't prepared and chose not to keep up with their marking, I don't feel sorry. That's the real problem with teachers anywhere, is that you need to stay on top of all of your work. I would say that would be twice as difficult with the teachers at my school considering they have 90 students in one class and each teacher has about 2-3 classes at least. I don't think I could keep up with that much work and marking but it needs to be done.
The greatest news ever???...we FINALLY got Internet hooked up today!!!!!!! SO HAPPY...and it's so much faster than what we were using hahaha...BUT the bad news is that apparently at the moment without any warning, we have no running water. They have been doing some pipe work and they are currently frozen so we have to go outside and underneath our place to shower in a common area or just to get water. What a pain in my backside...I can't believe it - especially on a day that we're stuck at home. There will be a lot of trips up and down the stairs just to get water today I'm thinking.
We continue to go to Church services on Sunday and small groups on Tuesdays over the past few weeks and that has definitely been a blessing to us both. It seems as though you get so involved in everything when you're there and we're starting to make some more friends over here outside of teachers that are quite far away for us. We actually randomly met a girl on the bus who believe it or not is from Canada (Toronto area) and Anthony and I were lucky enough to hang out with her and her boyfriend on Friday night which was a really nice change. We haven't really gone out with any other couples yet outside of small group fortnightly so it was nice to just get out and relax :)
We've been keeping busy by going to see a LOT of movies since it is pretty much free and trying to cook all different kinds of dinner in our new crock pot. You pretty much can cook everything but you just have to know what you're doing. I'm not an expert with crock pot recipes so a couple have been absolute disasters but the roast always comes out smelling amazing - especially after we were sent some beautiful montreal steak spice in the mail!! Oh how it has already made a difference. Anthony and I both have mastered the homemade mac & cheese and 4-cheese grilled cheese meal so that is definitely worth it every now and again. You really have to start being creative when you don't have an oven...I can't even bake half the things I used to, it's somewhat sad really.
Other than that, life has been pretty much the same but I will make sure that I keep everyone posted on more things to come!
More words learned to date:
"knackered" or "shattered" = exhausted/tired/worn out
"let's go have a proper brew" = let's go have some tea
Some more pictures for everyone to see -->
Sunset on one of the most beautiful and warm days last week, now it's snowing like crazy LOL...
Typical us...just being goofy before a night out with some new friends!
A nice shot of us :)
Love and miss you all dearly,
Steph & Anthony xoxoxo



No comments:
Post a Comment