Sunday, 21 April 2013

Going where no teacher has gone before...

...well sort of...Anthony and I have had an interesting week back at school this past week.  It has definitely been a long week which is what Anthony predicted.  I figured it wouldn't be too bad just busy with a lot of work but I was wrong this time, work was so slow but we are finally at the end of another weekend.  We are both definitely exhausted - we got so much sleep over our break but then we had to get back into school routine.  Our sleeping schedules were so off this past week and I'm still recovering I swear, but it's all good, we're starting to settle back in.  

The good news, is that the weather has FINALLY started to warm up and it's staying consistently around 15 degrees for the most part.  The sun is even out almost every day and that is totally out of the ordinary for the UK.  It's so nice!!! Last Sunday it got up to 17 degrees but there isn't really a lot of humidity here like there is at home, so it doesn't feel as warm.  Shouldn't complain...it's better than rain! 

This week of teaching has been quite interesting to say the least and both Anthony and I have been bounced around a lot.  Anthony switched school entirely and is now in one of the schools that I did supply work in for one day - Longhill which is only about 20 minutes away.  SO NICE that neither of us have to take the train.  Now Anthony and I have both had to teach most subjects but Anthony got the surprise of his life when the school told him that he would be teaching Math (or in the UK they called it maths).  To date, there hasn't been any other PE teaching jobs so we will have to see how the math job sorts itself out.  Anthony isn't too confident and I don't blame him because the subject is NOT one that either of us are comfortable with.  So needless to say, this Math teaching job for Anthony has been a little difficult and challenging.  The positive side to all this is that the experience for him in another subject is always a good thing - he's even wearing a shirt and tie to school almost every day.  HE HATES IT!!! LOL...most guys don't like dressing up but Anthony in particular, hates it but I like the change ;-) 

As far as school goes with me, I am currently in a school within an hour from Brighton in Portslade at a Secondary school Academy teaching Science and yes ...Math!! LOL...it looks like Anthony and I both got unlucky in the same week.  I couldn't believe that the first day there on Tuesday was all Math classes.  I have NEVER taught a Math class in my life and the ones that I have had supply work for up to date have just been hand outs since my background in Math is limited to none.  So this week has been curious and challenging for me because I have to re-learn Math and then teach it to my Year 7 (Grade 6) class.  It isn't as hard as what I thought it would be but it's definitely not easy.  Science however, has been a great experience so far and I already have my own classes so it will be nice to get to know the students and try and make the lessons more fun.  For both Anthony and I we are looking at long term supply work which might last till the end of the school year in July.  So we're hoping that that at least stays consistent.  I also have had the privilege to be part of my first UK teaching job interview.  I put in my application for a full time Music Teaching job that just opened last month.  It was fortunately at a school where I have been doing some cover/supply work already so that made things a little easier.  The interview took place this past Thursday and I felt that it went well.  There were a few things that needed to fixed but it's done and over with now but unfortunately after shortlisting the candidates again, I was NOT part of that list.  When one door closes another opens....that's all I can think positively at the moment because just going through the interview process was an amazing experience.  We had a formal interview and lesson observation so I'm still waiting on overall feedback but I guess this just wasn't the job that I was meant to do (at least for the time being).  

Other than our extremely busy week at school and the interview, we just crashed this weekend thinking of all the sleep that we have been missing!  Church was fantastic as normal today and very energetic which was encouraging.  

We will keep everyone updated on everything again soon and let us know ;) 

<3 Steph & Anthony 

No comments:

Post a Comment